Mother of all mistakes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mother of all mistakes.

Post by Reload3006 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Well in the last thread i posted I was making some 170 gr. 6s Flat nose bullets for my 30-30 thinking I would deer hunt with them. But I got to noticing that when I would dig around in the berm looking for a spent bullet I noticed that all I was finding was pancaked and shredded jackets no lead. SO I get this Idea that I will get some soldering flux and melt the core in the jacket then core seat then cannelure the bullet then point form. The Idea behind cannelure before point form is or was that rolling the cannelure on the bullet would deform it. and I figured that it would straighten back out when I point formed. Well BIG MISTAKE i stuck half a dozen bullets in my point form die. I finally got them all point formed and then through the Lead Tipping die and i have about 50 good bullets. So none of y'all make the same mistake I did DON'T CANNELURE you bullets before you point form ... Maybe run them back through the point form die but don't do it first BIG BIG mistake. What would happen was the jacket would snap in half and stick in my point form die. So I managed to get them all out but was a hassle I will post some pictures.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Re: Mother of all mistakes.

Post by Reload3006 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:56 pm

[img][/img]
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Interesting. I guess the cannelure before Poing Forming operation was displacing the lead core inward just enough to cut too deep into the jacket?
They sure look pretty!
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 am

Ouch!

There is something to be said about learning the hard way...I bet you never make that mistake again and now none of us will either Wink

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top