Wad difference?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wad difference?

Post by RemMan700 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:27 pm

What is the difference between the WAA12 wad and the WAA12F114 wad? I am looking at some different data for a slug load using HS6 and it calls for the 12F114 where the current load I used with Herco called for the WAA12. Are these wads pretty much interchangeable?
Do they even make the WAA12F114 wad anymore because I dont even see it on Winchesters site.
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Re: Wad difference?

Post by Reload3006 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I am just going from memory so a grain of salt. I think the waa12 is an older designation for the AA12F114. I could be wrong. but I think they are the same.
I know that the manuals will tell you differently. But In my experience it will make little difference. If the shotgun shell crimps properly its a good load. Do you have both wads or are you about to go out and buy them? I think that is the designation for the clear 12 ga wad... and you can buy the clay buster cheaper same wad.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I only have the WAA12's which are white and I think the WAA12F114 are yellow. The WAA12 is for loads of 1-1 5/8 oz and the WAA12F114 is for 1 1/4 oz loads.

The original Lee 1oz slug load I was using is AA hulls/ Win 209 primer/ WAA12 wad/ 36gr of Herco.

The new load I want to try uses all the same components except WAA12F114 wads and 36gr of HS6.

So you think I will be alright using the WAA12 wad?
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:44 pm

well that all depends you will know If it crimps and does not collapse the hull I wouldn't be afraid of a dangerous condition. But if could leave you with a inaccurate or sloppy or ugly round. One of those things you would just have to try to find out.
I was thinking that the WAA12 was an 1 1/8 oz wad .... LOL no matter I have so many wads of different makes etc that it boggles my mind sometimes. saying that to say that its never been a pressure issue that i have found. but it makes for some pretty crappy shells at times. I learned years ago that its best to use {gonna show my age} ALcan wads in ALCAN empties , Federal Wads in Federal empties. ETC> but you can pretty much interchange remingtion and winchester wads in the AA and STS empties.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:47 am

I got to digging around and found a load manual for 12ga looks to me like the WAA12 wad is an older designation for the WAA12SL wad ... both were listed by several companies as the wad for an ounce and an eighth of shot loads. I was also thinking about your inconsistencies in slug performance problems. I Dont know what kind of loader your using. But I want to stress wad pressure to you it is critical for consistency. With my Mec loader I make sure that I always finish my complete stroke to bottom and look at the wad pressure indicator. IF your using a MEC and your getting erratic results try lowering your rammer tube until you get a pressure reading and keep it the same. What happens when you seat a wad is your trying to get a consistent seal on the powder. If your using a different type of loader you will have to figure out what you can do for consistency ... Don't go by feel. I personally believe that wad seat pressure is more important than the wad itself.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks for the info. I am using a Lee Load All II so I dont have any type of pressure indicator.
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by chingachkook on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 pm

chingachkook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top