Jacket material

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jacket material

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:33 am

Opinions on brass vs aluminum cases for jackets?
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Re: Jacket material

Post by Reload3006 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am

I already answered that question aint doin it again LOL
if annealed it will draw properly. There has been a lot of talk about people trying it. James at ammosmith has used stinger aluminum cases for jackets. Obviously its softer than steel so its not going to blow up your barrel or ring it. However Aluminum is known to oxidize easily. For some this is a concern as Aluminum Oxide is a common abrasive in sand paper. I dont know that I wold be that worried about it personally What would concern me more than anything is fouling what would get it out of your bore? Copper and Brass Ammonia bore cleaners remover that fouling fairly easily. What would get aluminum fouling out I haven't a clue. Being a machinist I know that when aluminum builds up on a cutting tool its all over and requires a trip to a grinder to remove it. I really dont want to grind on my bore LOL ... Maybe someone much smarter than I can answer that one.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 am

Reload3006 wrote:I already answered that question aint doin it again LOL
if annealed it will draw properly. There has been a lot of talk about people trying it. James at ammosmith has used stinger aluminum cases for jackets. Obviously its softer than steel so its not going to blow up your barrel or ring it. However Aluminum is known to oxidize easily. For some this is a concern as Aluminum Oxide is a common abrasive in sand paper. I dont know that I wold be that worried about it personally What would concern me more than anything is fouling what would get it out of your bore? Copper and Brass Ammonia bore cleaners remover that fouling fairly easily. What would get aluminum fouling out I haven't a clue. Being a machinist I know that when aluminum builds up on a cutting tool its all over and requires a trip to a grinder to remove it. I really dont want to grind on my bore LOL ... Maybe someone much smarter than I can answer that one.

Yeah, But that was on the other forum. Rolling Eyes I tried to anneal aluminum once, the case melted. Now I was using a propane torch. I am not trying the oven annealing idea since the self cleaning function on my oven locks up the oven for at least 5 hours.
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 am

I think you swage the aluminum cases as is. Use clean cases, not ones that have been laying out on the ground oxidizing for a month. The aluminum case is coated with a protective film, teflon maybe....so don't clean chemically or try to heat(anneal).

I agree with Reload....under heat and pressure, aluminum gums up everything. I'd hate to have that in my barrel if could help it.

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I fired a few, very few aluminum, through my Ruger today. They shot fine but I think I will err on the side of caution and just order a batch of brass. I have done ok with range pickup but ended up with less then 100. It is good enough to keep me busy until I quit breaking presses. Very Happy

Is frying pan on the stove good enough for annealing?
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I used a stainless pan with all the cases bunched together and heated them with my turkey fryer burner...I don't see why a stove top wouldn't work just as well. Even the oven could work if it has a self cleaning setting.

be sure to turn on the exhaust fan,LOL

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm

hawcer wrote:I don't see why a stove top wouldn't work just as well. Even the oven could work if it has a self cleaning setting.

be sure to turn on the exhaust fan,LOL

If I turn my oven to self cleaning it locks up the oven for 5 hrs. plus.

How long do you leave ther cases in the pan or will the heat up enough to start glowing?
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:36 pm

You can heat them to a dull glow(lights off of course) or heat them until the shiny brass starts to darken . The hotter you get them, the softer they will be...use your best judgment on getting them as hot as possible, but in a safe manner in your kitchen.

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm

hawcer wrote:You can heat them to a dull glow(lights off of course) or heat them until the shiny brass starts to darken . The hotter you get them, the softer they will be...use your best judgment on getting them as hot as possible, but in a safe manner in your kitchen.

I guess I could use the burner on my grill.
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 am

Not sure about the aluminum cases but over on castboolits they have flogged the dead equine to death many time over using aluminum gas checks on cast boolits.

I have shot thousands of aluminum gas checked boolits and never saw any difference in fouling or wear in my barrels.

I have not shot any aluminum jacketed bullets either, but I would not see why a few would not hurt.

I have been running my .22 LR hulls through the auto clean cycle in the wife's stove and it does lock the stove up for 5 hours.

I do it at night as we are going to bed and the last time I did not wash the hulls and the smoke from the stove set off all the smoke alarms.

Not fun having to run around in the rain to the shed to get the fans at 0300 in the morning in mid December to air the house out.
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 am

I think the biggest difference in using a aluminum gas check (which is something I would do) is because ahead of that gas check is Lube which is absent on a fully jacketed bullet. The biggest reason for using coolant on aluminum parts when machining is not for cooling purposes its to prevent aluminum adhesion. Trust me if you ever worked in the machining industry and seen aluminum galling you would have a different attitude. But hey as they say its your gun. LOL
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks I had never thought of the lube in front of the gas checked boolit.

I have not shot any aluminum cased bullets either and most likely would not in a prized weapon, but like 30-06 said its your gun.
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top