Too Hot while Smelting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Too Hot while Smelting?

Post by XbonesX on Mon May 07, 2012 4:18 pm

I finally got a bit of lead, and went to smelting it down yesterday. This was only my second time smelting (the first time didn't go so well due to so many zinc weights).

My question is, I got about 30# smelted down, fluxed it with parafin wax, and then the lead started to turn gold and then purple. Was this due to getting the lead too hot? This was pretty close to pure lead, but it was dirty and a lot of crap came out after fluxing.

I noticed when I was at about 500 degrees it was silver, when it went gold it was about 600, and purple was pushing 650. I thought 650 was what I was supposed to get it to?

My ingots kept the purple color and I'm wondering if it will effect anything?

Back to top Go down

Re: Too Hot while Smelting?

Post by Reload3006 on Mon May 07, 2012 4:28 pm

its normal. Dont worry about it. some say its the tin but its happens all the time and nothing to worry about.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Pure lead likes to "rainbow" like that and will be shiny looking when dropped from a mold when compared to wheel weight lead or other mixed lead with lots of antimony in it.

Good sign you have pretty pure/soft lead is the colors. Just don't heat it to the melting point of the zinc and you'll be fine.

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples on Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Zink melts at 787*

Here is an excellent web site on lead and casting http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

I hope that link works.
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top