What do you think of summer shooting camps for kids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

92% 92% 
[ 12 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
8% 8% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 13

Post by EdgarEg on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

An indoor gun range is offering a summer shooting camp for kids . Info here:

http://www.bestshotrange.com/camp.html

http://www.39online.com/newsfix/kiah-newsfix-little-lingers-20120215,0,4140397.story

The reason I ask is that I like the idea. What can I do to encourage them?
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you think of summer shooting camps for kids?

Post by tripples on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

I think any time you get a child to the range respectively is a great idea. Anything to get kids away from video games is great.

With that said I would hope that the instructors were trained, and not some old guys who decided it would be a good idea to get away from the wife for a few days.

I'm sure there are many parents that should enroll as well. At times we all get a little sloppy when it comes to safety.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 pm

EdgarEg wrote:What do you think of summer shooting camps for kids?

An indoor gun range is offering a summer shooting camp for kids .

handgun
Why not try to sponsor a kid ,or maybe offer a trophy for the best marksman ?
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:39 pm

I like this idea, It may depend on the kids and their ability to handle this type of information and knoledge. They should be of a certian age and murturity. Only you would know if your child could do this. I wish that there were some avaiable in my area.
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 am

I am kind of leary on this one. As mentioned by "Nicnac" maturity would play a big part. I think I would require parents to attend with the kids. Both could get an education at the same time and not just another paid babysitter.
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:45 am

george457d wrote:
EdgarEg wrote:What do you think of summer shooting camps for kids?

An indoor gun range is offering a summer shooting camp for kids .

handgun
Why not try to sponsor a kid ,or maybe offer a trophy for the best marksman ?

I personally believe all kids who are willing to take the time to do something like this are all winners. They all should be awarded equally weather it be a simple certificate, small trophy or badge. I think labeling one kid as a best marksman would possibly upset the others.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 am

A chance to teach a young person the fundamentals, saftey and disciplan that is required to handle a firearm, (not even just firearms, this can apply to any type of camp out there) is a great idea. Kids today are learning way too many non essential things. I let my kids play video games, they however, are limited to the amount. Kids are still kids.. However, I know a couple of families where the only time their kids are not playing video games, they are eating breakfast or dinner and that usually gets carried to their room and found with mold on them.

Parents should attend so that they could learn as well as view what is being taught and their childs reaction. The instructor should be able to spot a child having trouble with what is being taught. That child should have the oppertunity to go one on one with another instructor and be taught so that child doesn't get frustrated and decide to walk away....

Back in the day, they used to teach .22's in boy scouts. Not sure if they still do that today or not...

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

Kids are naturally curious...if you have guns in the house, it's better if they are taught about them, then left in the dark. Shooting classes is a good idea...along with the hunters safety classes.

As far as parents being present....50/50. Some kids give other people more respect than their parents...and usually do better when the parents are not present. Then there are kids that will do better with a parent present to reassure them.

There are the few kids that there is no hope at all and regardless of what you do...it just isn't going to work.

One on one is the best approach...

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am

[/quote]I personally believe all kids who are willing to take the time to do something like this are all winners. They all should be awarded equally weather it be a simple certificate, small trophy or badge. I think labeling one kid as a best marksman would possibly upset the others. [/quote]

I both agree and disagree with this. A certificate for everyone who attends, but I do think something special for the best in the class should be awarded also. This idea of no one being singled out (either good or bad) is half the problem with our educational system today.
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am

I do not think that a class like this should be seen as a competition at all. A certificate to show that you completed the course would be great. As far as the best marksmanship, well, I believe that should be left for real competitions. If you want to know who the best, then learn everything you can, then get out there and compete where they are trying to prove who the best is.

A course like this is basically showing kids the rights and wrongs, the safety, how to handle and firing of a firearm.

I understand the wanting to single a person out and praising them for a job well done. You can still do that while maintaining the classroom environment and not a competition environment. The last thing an instructor needs is for a kid to start thinking he is better and get careless, or other kids wanting the attention and start getting carried away and lose what they are being taught.

This could happen in the younger kids, however, I know some adults like that too... That is just what I believe....

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Daywalker wrote:I do not think that a class like this should be seen as a competition at all. A certificate to show that you completed the course would be great. As far as the best marksmanship, well, I believe that should be left for real competitions. If you want to know who the best, then learn everything you can, then get out there and compete where they are trying to prove who the best is.

A course like this is basically showing kids the rights and wrongs, the safety, how to handle and firing of a firearm.

I understand the wanting to single a person out and praising them for a job well done. You can still do that while maintaining the classroom environment and not a competition environment. The last thing an instructor needs is for a kid to start thinking he is better and get careless, or other kids wanting the attention and start getting carried away and lose what they are being taught.

This could happen in the younger kids, however, I know some adults like that too... That is just what I believe....

That is exactly what was on my mind, I just didn't feel like typing all that into my phone.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Here is another story about it.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Kids-program-teaches-gun-safety-and-skills-3686467.php

EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Here in S W In There are 4 H clubs that have gun for there project. They have from 22 to HP rifles and black powder shooting along with hand guns. I hope more people will get there kids and grand kids to shooting be caws if they don't do so WHO will replace us to keep the gun's and the NRA going?To fight for the right to have gun's.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top