Hulls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hulls

Post by Daywalker on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Went out to the range today to see if I could scrounge some hulls from the skeet area. WOW, that place was littered with hulls. I was able to grab up 7 small bags of hulls before the skys opened up and rained us out of there.

Now it is time to seperate them. Some of the hulls I noticed has the numbers printed on them. If I were to load using the MEC 1 1/8 shot bar, but the hull lists a different size, is it still safe? Do I have to use hulls that are listed 1 1/8 only?

Some of these hulls has nothing on them from faded writing. Some are dark red, light red, blue, pink white, black..... There sure is alot....... Almost overwhelming... lol

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Hulls

Post by Reload3006 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:15 pm

it doesn't matter what was loaded in them before the hull or your shotgun doesn't care.

you need to match your hull wad and shot load so for example if your shell says that it was loaded with 1 oz of #9 shot for skeet you can take that same hull using the proper wad and load 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot if you use the right wad. the whole key is Winchester and Remington use a tapered wad Federal Cheddite and Fiocchi use a straight wad. other than that its experiment time. finding what wad with the weight of shot your trying to load that will give you a good crimp. If you need a walk through give me a call its no problem.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 am

Ok, here is another question....

I am sorting through these bags. I am placing all the same in their own bag. Now, when you are loading hulls, and going with the manufacture, do you go by what is stamped on the hulls or the head? For example, I have hulls that states "Universal" "W" and "Super X" however, they are all Winchester on the headstamp.

Then, I have Federals that are in Maroon hulls, White hulls, Pink hulls and Blue Hulls. The white, pink and blue all say Top Gun..

The Green Hulls I have says Remington gun club and then another Green that has Sport Load....

So the question, if a load in the book states Fedral Hull 1/18oz, then I could use any of those Hulls as long as it states Fedral on the head stamp?

Same with Winchester Hulls, Universal, W, Super X?

I know if the hull states steel shot, then do not load lead with those. I can toss them to one side right?

Thanks in advance...

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 am

By any chance, would the Remington Gun Club hulls be the same as Remington STS (green) hulls?

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

they are not the same but do load the same.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 am

Ok, so, I read that certain hulls will not last as long as certain others. Kinda the same with metalic. However, other than obvious signs, what other signs, well for the sake of the board, what kinds of signs should one look for as far as the life of the hull is concerned?

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 am

usually the hulls will wear out at the crimp you will see them cracking and splitting along the folds. that will not hurt the hull but they will get to where they won't hold a crimp. I have loaded them untill I have actually blown a chunk of the crimp out the end with the load. Reasons for being rejected to the trash can would be cracked brass or splits along the sides.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am

I will try to find some examples and take pictures and post them.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am

Another hull question........ lol.....

I see some hulls has brass while others are silver. Does this mean anything?

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 am

yes and no. as brass has gotten more expensive a lot of Manufacturers have gone to plated steel. There are even hulls with no brass at all. In todays world it just gives shotgun extractors something to grab hold of. In old days of black powder and paper hulls the brass was to keep the B.P. from burning a hole in the hull.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum