Always something!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Always something!

Post by RemMan700 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 am

Well I have a standard 24" Stainless 7mm-08 barrel that I recently bought. It was very hard to find and I believe I purchased that last one available on the internet as T/C no longer is making these barrels. Of course mine has an extraction issue. It will only extract fired brass like 10% of the time. I ordered a new extractor and spring and that did not fix it. I tried bending the spring and that did not work. When I compare this extractor to my other barrels it looks like it does not go up into the chamber as high to get a good solid bite on the rim. It is almost like material needs to be either removed from the bottom radius of the barrel or from the top of the extractor bar where it rides along the bottom of the barrel.

T/C is sending me a tag to send the barrel in to be checked. The girl told me I should send my frame in as well. The thing is she said that she didnt have a lead time for me and it would definitly be longer then three weeks. I also really dont want to send my frame in because I dont see the point and I would like to use it for some hunts I have coming up.

So my options are:
-Send in the barrel and wait a month or two (and also risk them not finding anything wrong because I didnt send in the frame ... according to the girl at t/c). If it comes back not working correctly it is getting sold.

-Sell the barrel and buy one in blued because there are no more new stainless ones to be found online.

- Send in the barrel and frame to T/C.. Last resort and I really, really dont want to send in my frame.

What do you guys think?
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Re: Always something!

Post by sdsviper on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Here's a link to Bergara USA they have some hard to find barrels.
http://www.bergarausa.com/Store-View.php?id=398 this may work for you.

I looked for over two weeks to find a 45-70 Encore 15"pistol barrel found one thru http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/product_p/203114.htm out of Ohio they got it out of a dealer Pennsylvania.
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Ok I took material off the top rail of the ejector and also bent the spring. It was a little more grabby but would still not eject cases. You can see from the sidways picture of the ejector it has some slope to it. The Stainless barrel below is the one with the issues and the blued barrel is one that has no issues. You can see the blued barrel's extractor goes up into the chamber a little more. Also notice the lip on the extractor on my New Haven made barrels are more aggressive then the Springfield, MA barrel that I am having issues with. I could keep trying modifications to the extractor and spring but when you pay $300 some dollars for a barrel I shouldnt have to make jake leg modifications. Plus how long will that spring keep tension now that I have bent it.

Problem barrel

Good barrel

Side by side. See blued barrel extractor goes deep into the chamber.
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

I've never ran across anything like this before but here are a couple of general observations; from the pictures it looks like the extractor sits "higher' into the chamber on the blued barrell as opposed to the stainless which would give it a better bite under the rim. It also looks like there is a tad more clearance on the right side of the ejector on the stainless. That could be due to lighting / camera angle I guess. Have you tried putting the extractor from the blued barrel into the stainless to see how it fit? If it works better you know the extractor for the stainless is bad but if it doesn't fit any better - bad barrell ...

just my .02
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 pm

the extractor is supposed to sit high so it can grab the rim . where is the flat spring that goe's twords the rear of the extractor that pushes up on the back of the extractor? all that neede to be done is to bend the rear of the extractor up very carefully. you don't have to remove any mateial that will just weaken the extractor. HTH are you shooting hot loads?
Rick
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

Rick459 wrote:the extractor is supposed to sit high so it can grab the rim . where is the flat spring that goe's twords the rear of the extractor that pushes up on the back of the extractor? all that neede to be done is to bend the rear of the extractor up very carefully. you don't have to remove any mateial that will just weaken the extractor. HTH are you shooting hot loads?
Rick
I really cannot bend the back of the extractor up. It is flush with the barrel and cannot push up into the chamber any higher. Everything I have shot in it has been minimum charge.
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum