Bad Die?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad Die?

Post by RemMan700 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 pm

I was measuring headspace of some brass with my 7mm-08 RCBS Precision Mic and found my .308 FL die is sizing around ten thousandths below SAAMI minimum. I called RCBS to confirm that my 7mm-08 Precision Mic should measure headspace for .243 and .308 since their instructions show the same headspace measurement for all three calibers. Most dies are set to size +/- .002" at SAAMI minimum. So I ran a test on some .243 brass which fire formed brass was .005" above SAAMI Min, and when FL sized with a Lee FL die and it measured -.002 below SAAMI Min in my RCBS Mic. My fired .308 brass from my Savage is measuring .above minumim and when I size it its .010 below minimum. Am I missing something or does it sound like my die is oversizing?

The only thing that makes me think something else is wrong is that I measured some Federal Powershok ammo and it measured .005" below minimum where most factory ammo measures .002" below minimum. I also measured some factory new Remington brass which measures .002" below minimum which is what it should measure. Shocked 
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad Die?

Post by RemMan700 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Ok, I just measured some more .308 brass that was not shot in my Savage and it measured .006" above minimum (.000" being minimum and .010" being SAAMI max). I would say most guns I measure are around the middle of SAAMI spec. I guess this tells me my Savage has a tighter then normal chamber.
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum