S&W M&P 9 does not like my loads!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

S&W M&P 9 does not like my loads!!

Post by jpdeal on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Only been reloading for a couple of years, so looking for advice from experienced members. I recently purchased a NIB S&W M&P9. Was at the range today and loaded a magazine with 10 of my reloads. Malfunction; round fired okay, but gun failed to cycle properly, specifically the round got stuck between the top of the magazine and the chamber. I cleared the malfunction and same result. Put my relaods back in my range bag and finished the day with factory loads.

I have been using the minimum powder charge (Accurate No. 5) indicated in the recipie contained in the Lee Manual, which is 5.6 grains. This has worked GREAT in my S&W 669. Is it possible that the powder charge is not powerful enough to cycle the M&P9? Going to make up a few test loads that are right in the middle of the min/max to experiment. Just wanted to run it by everyone here and get some feedback.

Thanks!
jpdeal

Back to top Go down

Re: S&W M&P 9 does not like my loads!!

Post by eagle60 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:53 pm

You are probably correct in thinking that the charge is a little light. The recoil spring in the M&P may be a little stiffer than the 669 which could cause the problems that you describe.
When working up a load I will look at the recommended min/max from several different sources and get an idea of the general "middle" and start with that. You can work up (or down if needed) from there to find what the M&P likes.
Good luck and stay safe.
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 pm

i would guess charge too, especially since it is a NIB the spring is going to be stiffer. looking at Accurate's data, they released new +P data for the 9mm which is adding about 4k PSI.
http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/LoadGuide-9mmParabellum+P-update1-28-14.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top