I just realized that I haven't properly introduced myself

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I just realized that I haven't properly introduced myself

Post by Mohunter on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 am

Most of you here already know me from other sites, but for those of you who don't.........my apologies. Apparently, I've been so busy with hunting season and trying to play catch up on the posts around here and greeting all the new people.........that I completely forgot to introduce myself. Rolling Eyes

I'm in South East Missouri in what's called the "Leadbelt" and I live just a stone's throw away from Big River. You will hear me talk about the River from time to time in my posts, especially the ones about hunting and fishing. In the spring time I'll be posting pics of fish that I catch now and then, and maybe some this winter? We do fish in the winter time for bass because when it gets super cold the bass run up into the sloughs where the water is a few degrees warmer. Especially if it has a spring running into it where the slough will stay open a bit and not ice over. Believe it or not, we do catch some really nice bass this way with live bait.

I guess you could call me a river rat? Everything I do around here is tied to the river somehow or another. All my hunting is done adjacent to the river, all my fishing is done in the river, and when I start trapping (which will be soon!) I catch raccoon, muskrat, beaver, mink, and other critters by trapping near the river. To the animals of this area the River means Life. Food, water, and shelter are always prevalent in on or near the River.

I've been building bows from my own Osage staves most recently and you guessed it...........I cut the Osage logs Near the River. Very Happy
That's a whole different topic, but lately it's been a passion of mine to build my own long bows and right now I'm working on an R&D take down long bow made from Osage and Rosewood. It's going to be pretty cool, and I haven't seen one made by anybody else, so I may be the first to try?
I'm also in the process of building a couple of low poundage long bows for my 2 nephews Tucker 8, and Garrett 6 to give to them for Christmas this year.
Tucker the oldest is really into shooting his miniature compound and I think he's already hooked on it, Garrett the youngest not so much.......but he will when he sees how good his older brother is getting at it and wants to play catch up.

While my interests are diverse, I enjoy reloading and casting with the same passion as I have for archery. I'm not an "Expert Reloader" by any stretch of the imagination, and to boast such a title would be arrogant as well as false. While I am good at what I do and I have yet to find anything that I cannot do when I put my mind to it, I don't think any of us.....no matter what our level of reloading expertise is......will ever stop learning.
With that said, I reload mainly for rifle and pistol and not so much for ultra long range or competition, but more for hunting applications......hence my user name Mohunter. Because the reality is.......that's who I am.
Don't mistake that statement.........to misinterpret so so hand loads, quite the contrary. I am very picky about accuracy and that's why I got into reloading in the first place. I was never satisfied with the "Just OK" accuracy of factory loads and then to be charged through the nose until it bleeds for factory ammo........was just never acceptable in my book. So my quest to make the most accurate loads that I could began some 5-6 years ago. I struggled with it at first like all of us did, but one day it finally just clicked and my groups began to tighten up. When I finally saw the light of what hand loading your own ammo can do and the tiny little clover leaf groups it can produce......I was hooked for life!

I know my introduction is lengthy, but that's me in a nutshell and I hope to learn from all of you and maybe I have something to offer as well. Either way we will all help each other along by solving each mystery of reloading one at a time. Afterall, isn't that why we are all here?
A collective consciousness of the group is far superior to just one mind when it comes to tackling and solving the intricate web of never ending possibilities when it comes to sending a projectile downrange and getting it to hit the mark each time with precision.

When Daywalker aka Tommy first told me about his dream of starting this website and asked me to be a part of it........I was delighted to say the least. So I jumped right in it with both feet as I do with just about every aspect of my life and I hope that it becomes everything he dreams it would be. I've known Daywalker for several years now and I can tell you that he is as good as they get, he's a solid Good Ol Boy like myself and has a heart of gold. I'm happy and proud to be his friend and I'm thankful that he asked me to be a part of this. Let's all do our part to make the dream a reality and work to bring this reloading site to the top of the heap so to speak.
I honestly feel that we have a tremendously talented group of people here and the possibilities are endless.........I'm anxious to see where it takes us and how far it can go.

Thanks for having me here.

~Mohunter~
aka
Chris
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Re: I just realized that I haven't properly introduced myself

Post by Reload3006 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 am

I know the area you are talking about. I have gigged the big river a couple of times my ex-father in law owned 160 acres on blacks mountain just south of Fredrick Town. I started gigging the St. Francois river then that was back in the late 80s early 90s. pretty country there.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 am

Yes it is. The St. Francois river is very scenic and beautiful.
There are many spring fed rivers throughout this area that are some of the last surviving undeveloped or commericalized rivers around. The ones that have been victimized by developments, tourist attractions, canoe rental outfits, and urban sprawl have been ruined forever. I sincerely hope that these waters around where I live never see that kind of exploitation.......it would all but break my spirit if that ever happened.

Gigging season is in full swing right now, but after all the rain recently the river has a brownish tint to it and makes for difficult seeing the bottom to be able to gig for suckers. When it clears up some, we will be hitting it again for a fish fry. We usually have 5-6 trips a year and fry suckers immediately afterwards while they are still fresh. They aren't very good if they are frozen, fresh is always best. Most people never get to experience that or even know what we are talking about.
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 am

the only thing I have ever gigged for is frogs.... and they are mighty tasty...

I have a take down recurve made from Osage and bamboo glassed limbs.... was made for my by dan quillion out of geaorgia about 15 years ago... but I harvest the osage from our property and sent it to him.....

Archery is my other great passion as well..... knowing their are archers here makes this forum even so much better.....
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 am

You dont also live in a van down by the river do you? (Sorry... a SNL reference. LOL)
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am

kcatto wrote:the only thing I have ever gigged for is frogs.... and they are mighty tasty...

I have a take down recurve made from Osage and bamboo glassed limbs.... was made for my by dan quillion out of geaorgia about 15 years ago... but I harvest the osage from our property and sent it to him.....

Archery is my other great passion as well..... knowing their are archers here makes this forum even so much better.....
What state are you in?
Yes we do share something in common, do you hunt with recurve also?
The only thing that worries me about making this take down long bow completely out of Osage except for the Rosewood that's in the riser, is violating the rings on the limbs when I drill through them for the limb bolts to go through. I'm not sure how it will handle that? If the limbs split, and it won't take that kind of intrusion, then I may end up making some liminated limbs out of something else? Bamboo is common to use as a backing on lots of limbs, and also Action Boo that is used for cores in laminated limbs. I'm still fairly new at this, so I'm on the "Learn as you go" program. Rolling Eyes

Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

RemMan700 wrote:You dont also live in a van down by the river do you? (Sorry... a SNL reference. LOL)
Not yet, but just about one paycheck away from it. Wink tongue
In my case if would be a cabin made of driftwood down by the river, I don't like vans. Very Happy
I loved Chris Farley, he died way too young. It was a sad day when he died, and a tragic loss to comedy. He was one of my favorite all time comedians.
It seems like the good ones always die young? Why is that?
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:09 am

Y'all were wondering what gigging was i put up some pics in the fishing section. enjoy..
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 pm

I loved Chris Farley, he died way too young. It was a sad day when he died, and a tragic loss to comedy. He was one of my favorite all time comedians.
It seems like the good ones always die young? Why is that?::::::so true::::::

I have about 7 recurves and three longbows.... I was shooting dirty old arrows before I was shooting sticky lead.....

I will take some pictures of my recurve for you if it would help you out????

I love my dan quillion bow.... 72lbs at 28 1/2" and 62" overall.....

Believe it or not the guy I call my dad (he kinda adopted me).... and we met through a traditional archery meet some ago.....
I hunted archery, primitive rifle, and rifle season for years.....

for just about everything we can eat .... even some thing we eat most will not...hehehe We got yelled at about three years ago for shooting bass with our pistols but we had hunting and fishing licenses.... funny stuff....

I am in Oklahoma

kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Well you must be a big ol boy to pull a 72# recurve!
My Grizzly is only 48# and 53 or 54# would be about right, but it took a long time before I was comfortable with the 48# @28"
I'm not as strong as I used to be, bad shoulders from football coming back to haunt me I think? I shot an 80# PSE for years and years until it started to hurt, then I backed down to a 70# Mathews Switchback XT, and now I've got a 60# Bowtech and it's so sweet!
I do love my recurve though, it seems like I get so much more out of shooting traditional and that's why I started building my own. There's a certain amount of satisfaction in doing it the old fashioned way and if I could put an arrow in a deer with something that I made myself, that would be so cool.
I just started making my own flemish twist strings also. When you build a bow, it's cheaper to make your own strings rather than buy them and it's really not as hard as I thought it would be.

We have much more in common all the time. Wink
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 am

yes so true... I make my own arrows, fletching, and cresting.... as well...
I make flemish twist and twist some more..... and also endless loop strings.... as well....

kev
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 am

I haven't tried to make an endless loop string yet.

It sounds like you got the "addiction" worse than me? Shocked
But.....that's not necessarily a bad thing either, there are worse hobbies to dump your hard earned cash into. Wink
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 am

well My grandfather was 50% creek Indian so we always had a bow and a quiver on us all the time as kids....

I started making strings cause I broke one about 100 miles from the house when we were at a traditional shoot and did not have another one and this old man just took my bow and whipped one out for me on his jig on his tailgate....
I thought this is amazing.... I was about 14 or 15 when he did that.... I learned how to make strings shortly after that
then later as I grew into the archery stuff I learned about arrow making and such, like cutting my own fletches from my harvested turkeys.... I dye the feathers with water, rubbing alcohol and food coloring dye, and you can dye the shafts as well.... made a cresting machine out of an old drill motor..... and learned to crest.....

My wife bought me a super nice compound bow about four years ago for Christmas as a surprise but.... I cannot shoot the thing worth a crap.... I even took lessons.... but the release and the sights just mess with my head and the let off really screws me up.... but if I just hold it like my recurves and cant the bow and shoot off the arrow with my fingers on the string I can get pretty close but I am no where near as good as with a real recurve....
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top