When fluxing with sulphar to get rid of the zink

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When fluxing with sulphar to get rid of the zink

Post by Blade on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey guys

I only use WW for boolit casting and unfortunately at times, a zink WW does get into my mix. The biggest issue that i have with the zink WW in my mix is that my lee production pot takes about 30min to melt the lead and without zink it takes about 15min and of course you have a hard time casting good boolits. That's when I've started to flux my lead with sulphar.

What i noticed while casting after fluxing with sulphar is that I'm quite sure that it removes a lot of the tin, because the cast quality was VERY BAD. So to correct that issue I've added about 20 inches of soldering wire (i only had a VERY thin soldering wire), which I've heard to contain tin, which is good for casting. It helps to fill out the mold properly. Yes, it did work great!

Safety warning!!! : When working with sulphar USE A GASMASK !!!![b]
Blade

Back to top Go down

Re: When fluxing with sulphar to get rid of the zink

Post by hawcer on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Cool! Thanks for the tip.

That May be a good way to get back to a more pure lead too...

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:32 pm

My WW normally end up between 8.2 and 9.2 BHN the day after casting and after about 2 month's it's between 15 and 16 BHN . After fluxing with sulphar and adding some soldering wire, it's still 8.2 to 9.2 BHN , i'm curious to see what it will be in a month's time.

BTW: that 20 inch soldering wire, i added it to a full pot in my 10lb lee production pot 4.
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top