DIY Under the desk pistol magnet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DIY Under the desk pistol magnet

Post by Mohunter on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 pm

I got to brain storming the other night about what I would do, or rather how I would get to my personal protection in the event of the worst. If I was caught off guard and before I could react an intruder just happened to slip up behind me while at my computer. One reason for this train of thought was a recent occurrence that happened right across the road from our driveway.

On the way home from doing to running around in town we noticed a police car and a tow truck across the road from our driveway. The tow truck was backing down a dirt lane that goes down to the river, which is a private road by the way and only myself and few others have a key to the lock on the barrier that stretches across it.
So I took it upon myself to investigate what was up. After talking to the deputy sheriff for a few minutes he told me that there was a stolen vehicle down there. I was a bit shocked because few people even know about this road or even where it goes, but sure enough there was a mini van sitting right in front of the cable barrier where it could go no further and it had been reported to the sheriff's office.

Come to find out it had been stolen from down by Clearwater Lake and driven all the way up here and supposedly dumped?
That's all the deputy would tell me about it and I haven't heard anything more about it since then, but that sort of thing just doesn't happen here on the dead end road I live on. So it kinda made me a bit paranoid thinking that the perps who dumped the stolen mini van could have just as easily walked right across the road to the nearest house they saw........Mine! Then maybe even broke in or tried to bull their way in and help themselves to anything they wanted.

Normally my Glock 20 stays in a nice wooden box with a padlock on it, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have it just a bit closer and more accessible where I can get to it...........Just in case. Suspect Wink

Here's my solution.

1 - Large stereo speaker magnet with a felt covering
1- short bolt

I drilled a hole through my computer desk and screwed the bolt into the magnet on the other side and wallah! Handy access to my Glock 20 10mm. Cool
It now hangs readily beside my left knee and I don't even have to slump over to reach it. I can merely slide my hand down the edge of my knee and wrap my fingers around the grip of the pistol. Then ease it off the magnet with very little movement or sound at all.
Here's the pics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Re: DIY Under the desk pistol magnet

Post by Pathfinder on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Nice MO. I love it cheers
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Looks good mo. you should add that to your store front.
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 pm

I would almost feel bad for the sorry sack of sh*t that broke into Mo's house. Let's see death by knife, sword, bow & arrow or by gun? Mo you should put up some shot up targets at your front walk just to make it fair.

To be serious though, I'm glad you and your family are safe.
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:48 pm

That is smooooth ! I like your thinking Mo - Improvise, adapt, and overcome !!! Cool
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

good thinkin mo....id do the same but zombies cant find me i live so far out in the boonies rofl....if you head toward my house make sure you have a full tank of gas and 5 extry gallons in the bed of the 4 wd truck lol.....

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 pm

What? No sawed off double barrel??? Rolling Eyes I expected so much more out of you.

BTW.... looks great!
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 pm

nice mo thats a great idea i might make one of those for my truck!!
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:41 am

RichBirdHunter wrote:I would almost feel bad for the sorry sack of sh*t that broke into Mo's house. Let's see death by knife, sword, bow & arrow or by gun? Mo you should put up some shot up targets at your front walk just to make it fair.

To be serious though, I'm glad you and your family are safe.
Yeah, you ever seen that tv show 1,000 ways to die?
Well I've got about 30 of them right here in my house, that ain't including the garage. Cool

Thanks guys, the whole point of this is you just never know what could happen. Especially being way out here on a dead end road miles from the nearest town.
When seconds count the cops are just minutes away, but Glock is right under the desk. Suspect
handgun

Last summer I had some old drunk guy pull up in my driveway and lay on the horn. I turned and looked at him like "Who the hell do you think you are?" Evil or Very Mad

He gets out of the truck and staggers toward the garage and asks me who has a horse for sale down this road, I slid open a drawer on my tool box and put my hand on top of my .22 mag revolver that rests inside and said "There ain't no horses down this dead end road, but there are 3 cemeteries"
as I gave him "The Look" Suspect and pointed toward his truck.
Evidently he knew what the look meant even though he was sh*t faced because he never said another word and just turned around got back in the truck and left.

He could have just as easily been a crazy SOB and got out of the truck with a scatter gun and without protection your just another target.
I just refuse to be a target. Wink
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 am

Excellent work Mo.. I could think of alot of places to put one. Along the inside of my headboard on the bed for one. My computer desk is my lap in the recliner in the living room lol. But that is fine as I always keep my side arm on my hip till I crawl into bed.

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:59 am

Duck tape it to the back of the laptop! Very Happy
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:05 am

very nice Mo. thats what I need for my desk at work, I got the home covered Twisted Evil

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 am

Ok here is an idea!!!!! Your vehicle, car or truck. Sitting in the drivers seat. Place the magnet under the dash to your left or right withint reach....

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:44 am

I love it Mo, That is a great idea. I keep looking in the Bargin Cave at Cabelas for a cheap 1911 holster that I can screw to the headboard. After seeing this I think I should go to Walmart and look for a set of speakers for her Explorer (they need replaced anyway) so I have a few good magnets.

The story of the drunk looking for a horse kinda reminds me of a few years back. I was out mowing my lawn and a couple Jahova's Whitneses walked up to hand me there holy news letter, and tell me all about the lord comming and if I was ready. I politly asked when do you think he will be here? They both answered real soon! I then replied as nice as I could "well shit you better let me get back to mowing my lawn because I want my damn yard looking good when he gets here" at that point I started the mower and they left.
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 am

There was an elderly couple attacked a couple years back down in St. Genevieve, Mo. which is only about 30 min. away from me. The guy just picked their house at random and tried to pose as a cable tv guy to gain access to their home. It kinda threw up a red flag since the elderly couple didn't have cable. Shocked
So they told the guy to leave and shut the door in his face. He went back to the truck and got a hammer then came back and kicked the front door in. He beat the old man to death with the hammer and his wife ran out the back door and hid in the woods. After the guy looked for her, but couldn't find her he left and she called the cops. They did catch the guy and he didn't have any explanation why he did what he did. He was just freaking crazy and wanted to kill somebody.
True story.

This tragedy could have came to an abrupt end if the elderly couple would have had personal protection somewhere close by, but they never expected something like that to happen.
They also lived out of town and back down a dead end road just like I do.
Out here you gotta take care of yourself because you may be dead by the time the cops arrive an hour later.
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am

Neat idea Mo!
I might put something like that into effect when the kids are grown up and out of the house....or at least my youngest to be a bit older.

For now, I have it at my side, within reach from my bed or in the safe.

I knew an old guy that had a gun hidden in every room....sometimes three or four per room. Cookie jars, kitchen drawers, behind the toilet bowl, in the dog food, you name it....there was prolly a gun hidden there.

How about a PC disc drive that kicks out a small 22 or something?

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 am

great idea Mo man you just keep comeing up with this neat stuff . Like hawcer said if little ones are around must keep them up high or locked up hide them or something. My kids are grown up mostly now,but the grand baby is around darts little one so I have to watch him . Very Happy
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Hughie, I don't have any little ones and the grandkids are hardly ever here. When they are I lock up all my guns.
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Nice and practical man, it would great if they made an extended magazine for the G20. I was just looking at a product like this at the NRA store. I think they wanted $20 for it which seems fine. I carry at home so a gun’s always on me anyways.
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't think I would want to carry that thing around with an extended mag anyway? It already weighs about 4 pounds with the 15rd. mag loaded to capacity. I never load it full anyway, only about 8-10rds. is plenty for me, if that don't do it then the rest are just embedding in the walls and the carpet anyway. Very Happy
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top