Automatic powder dispensers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Automatic powder dispensers

Post by mkrueger on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm torn between the RCBS Chargemaster and the Hornady LNL Auto Charge.
Opinions?
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Re: Automatic powder dispensers

Post by Reload3006 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I dont think you could go wrong with either. Which ever one was less expensive would be the way I would go. JMO
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:14 pm

I have the chargemaster...I love it! It throws really accurate charges for me.I do keep it on a small stand/table by it's self ...off the bench.

When I get my timing down....the powder will be just about done trickling or ready while I'm finished seating the bullet from the previous powder throw.

Only complaints I have( being really picky here) is:

A) the powder doesn't dump out as fast or smoothly as I would like it to, when I want to switch powders. A medium sized makeup brush comes in handy for "dusting" out the remnant powder into the drain hole. It is supposed to come with a brush I think....mine didn't.

B) When not in use or being used for measuring other things like bullets, the trickle tube will drop grains of powder into the tray or on the base. A small rubber end cap will correct that.

Edit: almost forgot.... I re-zero after about every 10 throws to keep it consistent. time powdered up and temperature will effect the scale a bit. Throw a charge and let it sit on the scale....it will get heavier by a couple tenths with time.the charge is still correct....but the scale is not exactly zeroed anymore.

Not the cheapest thing to buy...but you can find them on sale from time to time....and RCBS stands behind their products....just in case something isn't just right.

I can't comment on the Hornady....never used or even seen one in person. I have to give Kudos to Hornady for the equipment and components I do have of theirs....no problems yet Smile

They are both probably made in china....so ,take your pick Wink

Last edited by hawcer on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:21 pm

im in the same but diffrent boat as hawcer i have the auto charge, and its the same as hawcer said for his on dumping the powder its slow as heck, it does come with a long handle paint brush to help get lose grains out,, im happy with mine so far but,but, i have used it very little so far.. i did reload some .45 acp shot shells with it and it was very accurate....without having the chargemaster to compare i would not give a thumbs up one over the other.....bill

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 pm

I have the RCBS Chargemaster, but wouldnt hesitate w/ the Hornady Auto Charge. At the time I bought mine there was no Hornady so it was between RCBS or Lyman, and I will never go with Lyman again. There was a post a couple weeks ago with some vids on the Hornady.

As a response to Hawcer's comments:
A. Mine came with the brush, and yes a long handled small paint brush is a must.

B. I never leave powder in it for more than a night. I made that mistake once with Bullseye and now my tube is foggy, even seemed to eat away at the plastic of the machine and gave it a pebbled look.

Yes powder does spill around the tray, but I find with extruded powders this is less frequent, I have more of a problem with TAC and ball or flattened powders.

C. I find it stays consistant even across long loading sessions and do not need to recalibrate. I do however have a piece of masking tape on the unit with the weight of the tray (mine is 157.7 grains) and when I put the empty tray back on I make sure its the same measurement.

The RCBS scales I believe are made by Ohauser in Texas, but yeah the majority of the electronic parts are made in China.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 pm

One other big difference....

The RCBS can be separated, if you are only going to be using the scale, or can be purchased as two separate units and put together later. Not that I'm recommending that...but it is possible.

Thanks for the powder tip Bones....I haven't had that problem yet...with that tip, now I'm sure I never will.

One year warranty on both the Hornady or RCBS.

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

+1 for the chargemaster, love it
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I do not have an automatic powder dispenser yet - I still get by with an old Lee Auto Disk.

I have not heard anything good about the Lyman. Also I have seen a few "refurbished" Lyman automatic dispensers on Evilbay, but have not bothered to buy one despite being a lot cheaper.

I find it an interesting idea, and looks like something that in the future might become more practical.

6mm BR did a review a while ago on three of the dispensers, including the PACT, which gets dogged almost as much as the Lyman.

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Their recommendation was for the RCBS ChargeMaster with some suggestions on getting better performance from it.
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:05 pm

I myself have not gotten into the auto dispensers. I am still at the 5.0.5 stage. When I do get into auto dispensers, I believe I am going the Hornady route. Seems like Hornady is making a realy good comeback in the reloading world. Their LnL AP Press, their New Demension Dies, their Concentricity Gauge... My goal is give Hornady my money to try their equipment.

Not saying anything bad about RCBS, have not tried theirs and they do have a following of their on..

If you are an ebayer, you may get a good deal their as well!!! I got a few items to pay for on ebay come to think of it LOL

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the input guys... very helpful.

....and we all know how you feel about RCBS Tommy. Very Happy
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 pm

LOL, hey I own RCBS products!!!!

Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am

Well, I ended up ordering the Hornady from Grafs for 199 bucks. Shipping was only 4.95 too! I might do more business with them in the future.

Anyways, this thing is great! Soooo much faster than using my 505 and trickling up to the proper weight. And it is just as accurate. I weighed probably 100 charges against my beam scale and they were right on.

I cant believe I went this long without one.
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 am

Good to hear.....now you can chime in with a good review on the hornady when someone asks about it.

heck of a deal you got too, Congrats! Smile

Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:48 am

Well I am still stuck with the old Baird scale. It sure does work good but love the idea of having an automatic one.

I am thinking that the Chargemaster is the way I would go. I have heard the customer service is awesome.

Now if you can get a combo that guarantees against defects then that would be the one.

I do not normally go more expensive if I do not have too. Hell I use Centerpoint scopes. What does that say about my cheapness?

However I have never had a problem with them and thanks to them and my shooting I can still keep up with any Leupold at the range.

I see that you went with the Hornady. I look forward to a review on it.

Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Alright, I've had the auto charge for a couple weeks now, and loaded a few hundred rifle rounds with it. It has worked great so far without any problems to speak of. It has three different speed settings, which is nice, because I can control how fast it trickles depending on the type of powder I'm using. I haven't used any flake powder with it, but I have used ball powder (TAC) and some stick powder (Varget). Both metered well, the ball powder dumped more precisely at the higher speed than the Varget, but that was expected.
The only thing that you have to make sure of is that the unit is relatively close to level, or the powder will fall out of the trickler too fast and it will dump a higher weight than needed. Once I put a little shim under the front of the unit to make up for my crappy bench, it never missed a beat.
It is very easy to empty using the gravity fed port on the side. It comes with a long brush to knock any leftover powder down the chute.
I regret not buying one of these sooner! It beats the hell out of weighing and trickling every charge with my 505. Way faster, and just as accurate.
For $205 to my door from Graf's, it was worth every penny. Plus, you get 100 free bullets from Hornady!
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Sounds like you got yourself a Winner!
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I do a lot of reloading and have 2 Pact that has never given any trouble. Would buy then again. Got then from Midway.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am

I have 2 PACT high speed digital powder dispenser and scale's that I have loaded thousand's of round have never had any trouble with them. I dropped the scales. Sent them to Pact they fix them at no cost and payed to ship them back to me.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top