Zinc Plating Discussion Split from Copper Plating Discussion

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Zinc Plating Discussion Split from Copper Plating Discussion

Post by DanRickard on Tue May 31, 2011 12:22 pm

corbin talked about a Zinc washer that was placed on the bottom of lead bullets, to prevent leading. the washer would take the place of bullet lube.. and if the fit of the washer was PERFECT to the barrel.. there would be NO leading at all when pushing the bullet at EXTREEM speeds. but if the fit wasn't perfect, then there would be Horrible leading in the barrel.

the leading was in fact LEAD and not zinc from what he described.
so, if a zinc washer can be attatched to the bottom of a bullet, and hold up agianst the HEAT of a discharge in a rifle, then i dont see why it wouldn't if it was a plate.

shooting a 100% zinc bullet, i would't risk my barrel.. but shooting a zinc plated bullet, that i'll try out.. i dont see how it could hurt a short barrel anyways.. being a light plate, worse case, i'll be cleaning the barrel with a pick.

but a 100% zinc bullet, thats a different story.. they are a VERY hard bullet.. so i would worry about how it would enguage with the rifling.
also, a 100% zinc bullet, is like a super ball.. i kid you not.. i dropped one onto my concreat floor, and man, it bounced like crazy.. dropped a lead bullet side by side with it, and the lead didn't bounce. so i would assume, that if you fired a 100% zinc, the risk of it bouncing back at you would be insane enough to make anyone worry. certianly wouldn't want to shoot one of them in a rock pit!

Smile
dan
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 on Tue May 31, 2011 12:44 pm

Dillon used to sell zinc bullets solid zinc called zee bullets

also in years past zinc was used here is an interesting read a patent application.

http://www.munitionssammler.com/forum/index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=3417&h=c62f421233ec9f71d5585a8d23fcdfb6b304314d
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard on Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 pm

ah i see.. they use a lead plug. this would give the zee bullet a much better ballistic cofecient.

very interesting.

almost makes me wanna try shooting a 100% zinc bullet..

Smile
dan
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top